“Real people following Jesus’ radical call to love and service”
Thank you for visiting our blog-style site. Immanuel Mennonite Church is located in the city of Harrisonburg, Virginia in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley. Our congregation believes that God is in the process of redeeming the world and that the church, as the current body of Christ, plays an integral role in that saving work. We recognize that the world has been divided along cultural lines, so part of our vision is to be a congregation that celebrates the diversity within our own city:
Vision: With Christ as our guide we strive to bring together our diverse cultures and expressions in a way that reveals Christ’s Kingdom of hope and wholeness in our lives and in our worship.
Identity: We’re people from various cultures drawn together by the radical gospel of Jesus Christ. Jesus demonstrates the way of God’s Kingdom, calling us to break down society’s barriers. We belong deeply to each other, to the neighborhood, and to the broader church.
Mission: To experience God and equip each other for a life centered in Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit. Christ’s hope and wholeness invites us to recognize and celebrate the diversity within our congregation, neighborhood, and world.
Values: As a community of believers our priorities are:
- Honoring God in prayer and worship
- Discipling one another in faithfulness to Christ
- Nurturing the children among us
- Growing and learning through our diversity
- Listening to, caring for, and forgiving each other
- Being instruments of God’s justice and peace
- Partnering with others to serve our neighbors, here and worldwide, while sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ
- Stewarding God’s gifts to us: health, time, relationships, resources, and all of creation